Sunday, January 24, 2016

Huck's trip to Sundial Island.

Huck ventured over to Sundial Island with me today via canoe from Camas, Washington.  For a bit of interesting history of this area, check out my blog from last week:  Sandy River Delta

Sundial Island was returned to an island a few years back when a rock dam was removed to help the local salmon population.

Here is Huck helping out with the canoe at 8:15 in the morning.  I had to wait for a day with no wind, I was a bit worried the current would be too strong, but not an issue.  




The Columbia River in the morning light, looking up toward the gorge from Camas, WA.





Looking downriver, if you read my blog I linked above, Lewis and Clark mention the rocks in the river, those power towers are sitting on them now.



Typical trail on the island.  Only access nowadays is by canoe.


Huck jumped down the bank to check out the Sandy River, this was about a 6 foot jump he did to get back up to me.  Made it look easy, not bad for a 9.5 to 10 yr old dog.



Huck found a dog toy on the Columbia River beach.





Huck decides when he is ready to give it up.




He chewed on it a bit, then left it for the next dog to find.



I wandered through the woods looking for birds, we popped out right where I left the canoe, it was not as near the water as it looks.  It is a 3200 foot paddle to get back to Washington in the background.



Our paddle home:



Our paddle back to the car was in a small rain shower, Huck was wet but happy to be back near land.  The current here was about one knot, with a rising tide.  Does not sound like a lot, but I had to keep paddling  to get across the river and avoid going downstream.



Thanks for the visit!

1 comment: